Last Minute Holidays in Devon
If you have a sudden yearning to get away from it all, or the weather turns unexpectedly glorious, last minute holidays in Devon offer an easy escape and plenty to do, however long you’re planning on staying. From its two distinct coastline – the spectacular surfing beaches of the north and the genteel English Riveria of the south – to the rugged landscapes of Exmoor and Dartmoor National Parks and a variety of sleepy rural villages and bustling cities, this diverse county offers something for everyone.
It’s easy to get to Devon too – just head down the M4 from London and the South East, or the M6 from further north, before joining the M5 that takes you all the way to Exeter. Trains run regularly to key destinations, including Plymouth, Torquay and Paignton, and there are some very beautifully named local lines to help you get about once you’re there, such as the Tarka Line, running from Barnstable to Exeter, and the Riviera Line, which links Exeter, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot and Torbay.
People choose last minute holidays in Devon for all sorts of reasons. In the spring and summer, there are plenty of festivals to choose from. Music lovers are well catered for – there’s Burleigh Music Festival for the classical fans, Ilfracombe Folk, Roots & World Music Festival, and the family friendly Beautiful Days, founded by the Levellers, and that’s just a start. Elsewhere, visit the annual Agatha Christie Festival, the multi-award winning Exeter Festival of South West Food & Drink, or if you’re a boat fan, check out La Solitaire du Figaro, a prestigious solo multi-stage sailing race, which stops in at one of the harbours on the English Riviera each year.
As the winter draws in, last minute holidays in Devon still offer plenty to see and do, from historic houses and museums, to galleries and attractions like the Quay Climbing Centre, Torquay’s Dinosaur World and The Marble House, a working glass and games factory set in an historic pottery. Devon is also a great place to indulge in a bit of retail therapy, with destinations ranging from Bideford’s Atlantic Village designer outlet centre, to the charming antiques stores of Honiton, and the artisan arts and crafts hub at Cockington Court near Torbay.
Last minute holidays in Devon are very simple to book, so take a look at what’s available today:
Last minute availability...
- Malston Mill Farm Devon Six unique 4 star/4 star Gold cottages at Malston Mill Farm set in 16 acres of one of Devon's most beautiful...
- Woodlands Family Theme Park, Devon Woodlands Family Theme Park in Devon provides a whole day of variety for all ages. The largest Family Theme Park... More Info
- What’s on in the West Country this week (10-16 September 2016) Get out and about with our essential guide to what's on in the West Country this week (from Saturday 10... More Info
- What’s on in Devon, June 2016 “What’s on in Devon?” isn’t a simple question to answer at the best of times, especially as the summer season... More Info
- What’s on in Devon, August 2016 We’ve got a great round-up of what’s on in Devon in August, with plenty of days out to make your... More Info
- Five delicious food festivals in Devon From lobster and crab to real ale and cider, these food festivals in Devon are a showcase of the gourmet... More Info
- Quince Honey Farm, South Molton, Devon One thing you can be sure of at Quince Honey Farm in South Molton, Devon, is a warm welcome. I... More Info
- Powderham Castle, Devon Lying within a lovely deer park in sight of the banks of the River Exe, Powderham Castle is situated approximately... More Info
- Open Farm Sunday at Rowdefield Farm I first learned about Open Farm Sunday from Martin Howlett at Deer Park Farm in Cornwall. Every June, farmers across... More Info
Warning: Parameter 2 to cf_taxonomy_post_type_binding::handle_taxonomy_archive() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/cartwhe7/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286