Farm holidays in Somerset
Farm holidays in Somerset offer everything your heart – and your stomach – could possibly want, especially if you’re a foodie who wants to get close to the action, or a family looking for a taste of rural life.
Just across the Bristol channel from Wales, Somerset is a county of contrasts. On the one hand you’ve got the rolling Blackdown, Mendip and Quantock Hills, and on the other the unbroken expanse of the Somerset Levels, not to mention Exmoor National Park.
This variety is reflected in the county’s many working farms, which are renowned for their sheep and cattle in particular. As well as meat, these animals produce two of Somerset’s key exports – wool and cheese, particularly the world famous cheddar. There’s a lot to learn for those who choose farm holidays in Somerset! To discover the rest of the county’s artisan producers and hidden gastronomic gems, simply head to the nearest market town or one of the many farmer’s markets.
The foodie adventure continues with a pint of the cider for which the county is famed – the Somerset towns of Taunton and Shepton Mallet in particular are associated with the production of well known brands like Blackthorn and Thatchers Gold. Oh, and Bridgwater’s Gerber Products just happens to be the largest producer of fruit juice in Europe. Find your favourite one of the many traditional local inns – there are even plenty of dog friendly pubs if you’re holidaying with your canine companion.
Farm holidays in Somerset not only give adults an insight into life on a working farm, there’s also plenty for children to do. They can help feed the animals and collect eggs each morning, go on a tractor or pony ride, or simple run about and enjoy the indoor and outdoor play areas. Many of Cartwheel’s farm sites even have pools if you fancy taking a dip.
Our farm holidays in Somerset offer a range of accommodation, from Scandinavian lodges to 4* self-catering cottages, a converted Medieval barn and even space to pitch a tent in the heart of the Exmoor National Park. Whether you’re looking for a summer holiday, romantic getaway or a weekend break, a Somerset farm holiday offers something for everyone.
Places to stay...
- Westermill Farm Holidays Cottages Somerset Enjoy peace and tranquility at Westermill Farm Holidays Cottages; six cosy Scandinavian style cottages with woodburners nestled on lawns by trees,...
- Westermill Farm Holidays Camping Somerset Beautiful, secluded Westermill Farm Holidays Camping fields for tents and dormobiles beside a sparkling, shallow river in the heart of...
- Wookey Hole Caves, Somerset Wookey Hole Caves, near Wells in Somerset, are a great day out for all the family, no matter what the... More Info
- What’s on in the West Country this week (10-16 September 2016) Get out and about with our essential guide to what's on in the West Country this week (from Saturday 10... More Info
- What’s on in Somerset, June 2016 Find out what’s on in Somerset this June with our round up of everything from family-friendly festivals to night time... More Info
- What’s on in Somerset, August 2016 Find out what’s on in Somerset in August 2016 with our selection of great days out for adults and children,... More Info
- A steam train trip on the West Somerset Railway My three-year-old son loves trains so taking him on for a ride on the West Somerset Railway, the longest heritage railway... More Info
- Wells, Somerset Wells is famous for its breath-taking cathedral and rightly so, but England’s smallest city and the surrounding area has a... More Info
- The Circus Cafe, Bath The Circus Cafe and Restaurant in Bath is a real hidden gem. In fact, it was voted number 4 in The Times... More Info
- Royal Bath and West Show I first heard about the Royal Bath and West Show a few years ago from my neighbour Judith, who helps... More Info